Sunday 8 November 2015

Thoughtless: Brief interpretation

At the beginning I was a little bit scared of this word since I think it represents all the opposite of who I am: a thoughtful person. Even too much in some occasions. At first I approached to this brief thinking how I could make a typeface thoughtless through my usual practice, which consists in symmetry, accuracy and make sure that everything makes sense.

I was in a conflict of ideas, in a dichotomy between rules and randomness, I could even feel Vignelli's eyes watching me. But if I wanted to design a thoughtless typeface, was I not being thoughtful again?
 In fact, one of the first things I did was trying to find a more tangible word I could use to define a typography, and I think the best word I came up with was Irregular. How could I design something thoughtless with rules? In order to avoid this trap to myself I tried to come up with a modus operandi that would let me rely on some principles that allowed me represent randomness and irregularity without going too crazy.

I also thought that 'thoughtless' would have to be expressed through a sans-serif typeface. It kind of made sense at the beginning to use a less serious typeface like Univers, but that idea did not stay for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment