Saturday 10 October 2015

Re-branding Coral Feedback


After all the process of re branding Coral and presenting it our group had the chance to receive feedback from our peers and tutors.  I am gonna start presenting the opinions we were given and then I will share my thoughts and conclusions. Most of the feedback is not literal, as I was taking notes while it was given.





Feedback from peers:

- Good use of Serif Type staying clear of trashy betting shop style.

- Good analysis of company Ideology - "Multi-channel" and Target audience.


- Good realisation of company mergers and the 100 anniversary.

- Nice final logo. Good traditional elements.

- Try to display the logotype in other surfaces.


- Show colour variations.

- Clear effect of research shown in designs.


- More professional feeling than the original, but yellow might not work well from a distance.

- Maybe try linking to other experiments.

- Strong and clear final outcome.





Feedback from tutors:

- Excellent research.

- Big issue: kerning.

- Normally when two or more companies merge the logotypes displayed for the public stay, so they have different sources of income.

- Nice use of words: "mature".

- The logo should be able to be used in any way.



Feedback from tutors to other groups I found useful to myself:



- Research not just the company, but also the competition.


- Start presentation with final resolution.

- More evidences on how everything evolved.

- Check company's Twitter to see how they communicate with their customers.

- More awareness of negative space





It was good to know what things were well done, like the research and how we successfully put that into words. This kind of positive reviews made me know what methods are less likely to be changed. But negative feedback was even better, as it pointed out things did not really work and needed more work to be improved. 

I agreed with every single critic, and there were some that pointed issues I was not aware of. For instance, what companies normally do when they merge. It seems obvious, but I totally forgot that they keep their identities to reach more different types of clientele. I was also impressed by the group who presented the final outcome first, it was a great idea and it works much better as the audience can link the explanations about the development with the final result. Kerning was definitely a problem in our design but I think it was overall because none of us knew how to do it accurately.

I really liked the other Coral's group idea the tutors pointed out, the one where the "O" in the word Coral was rotating like in a slot machine. I had a similar idea drawing drafts, where I tried to place the name Coral in a dice. I do not know why I decided not to follow that line, but if I had gone deeper with gambling ideas I probably could have had a similar outcome myself. It was pleasant to think that I was in the right creative way, but it was a little bit disappointing as well to know that it was because I did not go further. Mental note for the next time: "I should be less scared of going too far".

No comments:

Post a Comment