Sunday 30 October 2016

Typeface in context - Binding mock up

After identifying one of the potential binding methods I am going to use, I've made a mock up in order to see how feasible it is. I have followed this tutorial by Sea Lemon, which explains very well a method to stitch bind a book: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O4kFTOEh6k

The first attempt was quite feasible, but it was done with the wrong size and wrong threat. Will make a new mock up with the materials available in college.

After doing a mock up in college, I've realised I should wear a glove to avoid contact with the pages and treat them more carefully to keep them in the best condition possible. When making the holes, make them in small groups or they tend to be unaligned. The whole process of stitching the pages shouldn't take more than an hour when doing it with the final product.

For the cover, I'm going to follow this tutorial, but I'm going to wait for the bookbinding induction to make sure I do it rightly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av_rU-yOPd4


https://www.thebookdesigner.com/2010/09/self-publishing-basics-how-to-pick-the-size-of-your-book/

However, be wary of larger sizes, over 6″ x 9″ or 7″ x 10″. Why? Many book shelves—including the shelves in some bookstores—won’t easily handle books bigger than that. Unless you’re producing an art book, you probably don’t want to end up with a book that won’t fit anyone’s bookshelves.

Nevertheless, it's always helpful to draw different sizes on a big sheet of paper to know which might have more potential.

Another important reason not to make a big book of images is that normally these books are praising what's in the images. This is not the purpose of the publication, and images might get much more attention than desired.

Another fact that can help to identify the size of the publication, is to know the limitations of digital printing.

After speaking to James in the digital print room, he told me the biggest size I can print double-sided is SRA3, which would result in a small publication of the size of about an A5. I can do it a bit bigger, but the production cost will be massively increased. Also, the size of the images is not that big, so this reduction is going to have a positive impact on the quality of the photographs.

Increasing the size would mean in limiting my resources if I want to keep it in a reasonable price. I might print it in a smaller size (panoramic Octavo) of what I have planned (panoramic Quarto). This would allow me to use a hard cover within a reasonable price, since despite I want to make this book boring, the outside has to be engaging. The final price should oscilate between £8-15.

No comments:

Post a Comment